The image shows a model Nieuport 17 aircraft, used by the French Air Force in World War One, viewed from side and facing left.
The fuselage, or metal outer shell of the aircraft, ends conically, with the tip narrowed towards the tail, meaning on the right side, as shown in the image, and is highlighted embossed.
The front, in the image located on the left edge, in the middle, where the propeller is attached, represents the muzzle of the plane, rendered also embossed.
The propeller at the top of the aircraft, rendered by two vertical and thickened lines, one above and one below the muzzle, is composed of two short, narrow shovels, fixed on a rotating axis, highlighted by a short, thickened horizontal centerline, which rotates at a speed high enough to propel or move the aircraft.
The wings framing the cockpit, up and down, fixed to the roof, and under the cabin, here are shown by two horizontal lines, embossed and parallel, located to the left of the body, joined by two metal rods, highlighted as two thickened lines, the oblique left and vertical right.
Like the wider center wings, the tail wings, called vertical and horizontal stabilizers, are rendered by an embossed horizontal line, above which is a rounded, embossed shape.
At the bottom of the plane’s muzzle is the landing gear, a structural assembly that allows the plane to slide on the ground before takeoff and after landing.
It consists of the gear legs on which the wheels are attached, rendered as two thickened lines, joined at the bottom by an embossed circle, which represents the wheels of the plane.
A man is standing in the right bottom corner, thus positioned to facilitate the comparison of the dimensions of the aircraft to the height of an adult.
Nieuport 17 was a French fighter jet used in World War One. Designed and manufactured by Nieuport, it was the most famous and successful fighter aircraft of the 16 types of Nieuport aircraft.
The Nieuport 17 was an improvement over the Nieuport 11, being stronger and slightly larger, with longer wings and better balance. It was very maneuverable and had an excellent rate of climb. The Nieuport 17 also incorporated a number of modifications that allowed the use of a synchronized Vickers machine gun, which could trigger fire directly through the propeller.
Nieuport 17 was developed by engineer Gustave Delage and sent to the French front in March 1916. About four thousand units were built from March 1916 to October 1917. The large number of aircraft delivered replaced the Nieuport 11 and 16 variants in French service. On May 2, 1916, Nieuport 17 entered service in 57th Squadron. At the end of 1916 and in 1917, Nieuport 17 equipped each French aviation combat squadron. As a result, almost all French aces flew the Nieuport during their careers, including Canadian Bishop Billy, who received the Victoria Cross while flying a Nieuport 17.
This fighter jet was also delivered to Belgium, the Netherlands, Russia and Romania, and the American Expeditionary Force received 75 aircraft. The British Air Force immediately adopted this type of aircraft.
In August 1917, the Allies had 317 units on the front.
Powerful, easy to maneuver, with high speed for that period, masterfully piloted, the Nieuport 17 aircraft became a formidable opponent in air battles.
- Nieuport 17, available online at http://www.acum100.ro/node/219, accessed on January 16, 2020.
- Serban Ionescu, Valeriu Avram, Revista Modelism supliment Tehnium, nr.3, 1986, p.26.