The image shows a model of Nieuport 17 plane, seen from above, used by the French Air Force in the First World War.
The fuselage, or metal outer shell of the aircraft, ends conically, with the tip narrowed towards the tail, meaning at the top, as shown in the image, and is highlighted embossed.
The front, in the image located in the lower edge, center, where the propeller is attached, represents the muzzle of the plane, rendered by a small horizontal rectangle, also embossed.
The propeller at the top of the aircraft, rendered by two horizontal and thickened lines, one to the left and one to the right of the muzzle, is composed of two short and narrow shovels, fixed on a rotating axis, highlighted by a short, thickened vertical centerline, which spin at a speed high enough to propel or set the plane in motion.
It has attached wings in the center, like a wide rectangular beam and highlighted by oblique, parallel lines.
Like the wider center wings, the tail wings, called horizontal stabilizers, are attached as two narrower, leaf-shaped plates, split on either side of the lower part of the aircraft. filled with the texture of parallel and oblique lines.
At the bottom center, above the wings, is the cockpit, shown with its windshield, rendered by a blank circle.
A man is standing in the right bottom corner, thus positioned to facilitate the comparison of the dimensions of the aircraft to the height of an adult.
Nieuport 17 was a French fighter jet used in World War One. Designed and manufactured by Nieuport, it was the most famous and successful fighter aircraft of the 16 types of Nieuport aircraft.
The Nieuport 17 was an improvement over the Nieuport 11, being stronger and slightly larger, with longer wings and better balance. It was very maneuverable and had an excellent rate of climb. The Nieuport 17 also incorporated a number of modifications that allowed the use of a synchronized Vickers machine gun, which could trigger fire directly through the propeller.
Nieuport 17 was developed by engineer Gustave Delage and sent to the French front in March 1916. About four thousand units were built from March 1916 to October 1917. The large number of aircraft delivered replaced the Nieuport 11 and 16 variants in French service. On May 2, 1916, Nieuport 17 entered service in 57th Squadron. At the end of 1916 and in 1917, Nieuport 17 equipped each French aviation combat squadron. As a result, almost all French aces flew the Nieuport during their careers, including Canadian Bishop Billy, who received the Victoria Cross while flying a Nieuport 17.
This fighter jet was also delivered to Belgium, the Netherlands, Russia and Romania, and the American Expeditionary Force received 75 aircraft. The British Air Force immediately adopted this type of aircraft.
In August 1917, the Allies had 317 units on the front.
Powerful, easy to maneuver, with high speed for that period, masterfully piloted, the Nieuport 17 aircraft became a formidable opponent in air battles.
- Nieuport 17, available online at http://www.acum100.ro/node/219, accessed on January 16, 2020.
- Serban Ionescu, Valeriu Avram, Revista Modelism supliment Tehnium, nr.3, 1986, p.26.