The State Historical Museum is a red brick building with crowded details in the Baroque style of Moscow, dating back to the 17th-18th centuries. That is why the predominant texture in this representation is brick and represents the body of the building. Several towers can be distinguished symmetrically from the main axis of the building so that the left side is symmetrical with the right side.
At the top you can feel two sharp towers that have on top Russia’s coat of arms – the bicephal eagle dating back to the time of Emperor Peter the Great (1682-1725).
On the side, two more towers can be observed below, also represented with a dotted texture roof that has a two-lion coat on top, raised on the back paws. Above them is a crown that signifies royalty.
On each floor are elongated windows represented with full embossed texture. The entrance to the building is located in the center of the ground floor.
The State Historical Museum in Moscow was funded in 1872 by a group of historians, well-handled by the archeologist Aleksei Uvarov [Bibliography 1]. Its first purpose was to gather together the representative artifacts from different eras from Russian History [Bibliography 2]. The building that was to serve the new museum was formerly the headquarters of both Principal Medicine Store and the University of Moscow [Bibliography 3]. At present, the museum is made up of several parts, representing each historical period from the Paleolithic to the present [Bibliography 4].
1-2. Serhii Plokhy, The Cossack Myth: History and Nationhood in the Age of Empires, Cambridge University Press, 2012, p. 261.
3. The State Historical Museum, available online at https://um.mos.ru/en/houses/the-state-historical-museum/ accessed on 01.02.2019.
4. The State Historical Museum, available online at http://www.moscow.info/museums/state-historical-museum.aspx accessed on 01.02.2019
Download the image