The University of Iasi is a massive building with one floor.
The ground level is represented by horizontal lines on which the embossed entrance can be observed. The windows have an oval shape on the upper side and are straight on the bottom.
The roof above the entrance is represented by a triangle. On each side of the entrance we can see two more rows of windows.
The upper floor is represented by a brick texture and vertical columns which are just a continuation of those from the ground level.
On the middle of the floor, above the entrance, there is a balcony.
Above the balcony there is an embossed light well represented by the brick texture.
The roof is depicted by the use of a wavy texture.
On the centre, the roof has a small dome protruding outwards and a discreet tower.
Founded in 1860, the University of Iasi is the oldest university of Romania and carries with it an even older tradition that of higher education from the capital of Moldavia, started during the reign of Vasile Lupu when Academia Vasiliana was founded in 1640. [Bibliography 1].
The inauguration of the university took place on October 26 1860 in the presence of Alexandru Ioan Cuza, whose name it bears [Bibliography 2] and that of the prime-minister at the time Mihail Kogălniceanu [Bibliography 3]. Initially, it functioned in the house of the treasurer Matei Cantacuzino, built between 1759-1765, now the headquarters of the University of Medicine and Pharmacy ”Gr.T.Popa” [Bibliography 4].
When it first opened, the university was comprised of only 3 faculties: Philosophy, Law and Theology which were reorganized in 1864 into: The Faculty of Letters and Philosophy, Faculty of Physical, mathematical and natural sciences, Faculty of Law and Faculty of Medicine [Bibliography 5].
The first rector of the University was Ion Strat, a professor of political economics [Bibliography 6].
The actual building of the University (building A) was built between 1893 and 1897, following the plans of architect Louis Blanc [Bibliography 7], on the place of the former Teatru Mare from Copou, which burned down in 1888 [Bibliography 8]. The inauguration took place on October 21 1897 in the presence of King Carol I and Queen Elizabeth [Bibliography 9].
In 1930, it was extended with the central pediment, monumental stairs and a symmetrical building on the lower side [Bibliography 10].
On the upper side of the building, we have the Gheorghe Asachi Technical University of Iasi, founded in 1937 under the name Gheorghe Asachi Polytechnic School. Among the professors in this university we can count Ștefan Procopiu and Radu Cernătescu [Bibliography 11].
The University of Iasi had always had prestigious professors in its ranks, including: Petru Poni, Grigore Cobălcescu, A.D. Xenopol, Garabet Ibrăileanu, George Călinescu, Iorgu Iordan, Dimitre Gusti, Petre Andrei, Traian Bratu etc. [Bibliography 12].
Many of these professors are among those that, in 1860, obtained scholarships to study abroad in universities from Paris, Berlin, Bonn, Torino and Munich. It was part of a phenomenon of abroad specialization, typical for the era, which allowed professors to properly prepare for their jobs [Bibliography 13].
Now, the Alexandru Ioan Cuza University is one of the most important institutions of higher education in Romania, hosting a number of 15 faculties [Bibliography 14], which carry on the old tradition of Iasi education.
- Sorin Iftimi, Iașii. Simbolurile unui oraș simbol, Editura Trinitas, Iași, 2008, p. 150-151.
- N. A. Bogdan, Oraşul Iaşi, studio introductive de Cătălin Turliuc, Editura Junimea, Iaşi, 2008, p. 263.
- Gheorghe Iacob (coord.), Iașii. Memoria unei capitale, Editura Universității „Alexandru Ioan Cuza” Iaşi, 2008, p. 155.
4 ,5, 7. Antonio Sandu, Irina Morariu, Anamaria Boboc, Clădiri de patrimoniu în municipiul Iaşi, Editura Lumen, Iaşi, 2008, p. 19.
- Rudolf Suţu, Iaşii de odinioară, revised edition, foreword, afterword, edition, selection of texts and notes by Radu-Negrescu Suţu, author’s nephew, Editura Corint, Bucureşti, 2015, p. 40.
- Monumente din municipiul şi judeţul Iaşi, Comitetul de Cultură şi Artă al judeţului Iaşi, Biblioteca Municipală Iaşi, 1969, p. 73.
9, 10. http://www.uaic.ro/uaic-a-intrat-in-posesia-documentului-care-atesta-fondarea-palatului-universitar-din-copou/ (retrieved on 24. XI. 2018).
11, 12. Aurel Bejenaru, Elidia Agrigoroaiei, Memoria locurilor ieşene. Ghid Turistic, Comitetul de Cultură şi Educaţie Socialistă al Judeţului Iaşi, 1974, p. 58; p. 59 .
- Gh. Platon, V. Cristian (redactori), Istoria Universităţii din Iaşi, Editura Junimea, Iaşi, 1985, p. 84.
- http://www.uaic.ro/despre-uaic/prezentarea-universitatii/(retrieved on 25. XI. 2018).